Friday, October 11, 2013

11. The Legend of Bloody Mary



What a waste of some good bud.  This trip has not been at all what I’d hoped it would be when I agreed to come. We were attacked, my Jeep was trashed, my clothes were shredded, my bammer got 86’d and Jemma was sleeping with Knox. At least the rain’s let up. I groaned and moved towards my tent as I continued picking the dirt out of my stash. I’d been able to square away a Forty but the rest of the Ounce I brought was lost.

I walked aimlessly around the campsite trying to figure out how we were getting out of here. It all seemed like some really had head trip and the longer we were stuck out in these woods the worse it was becoming. “We’ve tried looking everywhere for a fucking signal but it’s no use, one of us needs to try and walk it to town.” I heard Zach’s voice as he made another leading suggestion towards the group.


It had been this way the last few days now. Zach would come up with a plan of attack; an idea on how we were getting out of here and home again and every time, something would fail. It was like the woods didn’t want us to leave; or someone here was determined to make us stay. Either way, escape seemed hopeless and I was tired of the continuous arguments it would brew.


“That’s over fifty miles away Zach are you out of your mind? Which one of us do you think would make that? And in this weather?” Jemma shouted in return as the group started towards the fire pit. Everyone was fighting constantly. Over the possibility of running out of food, the cold weather, the rainy days and even the fear of being stalked in the woods. People were on edge and it didn’t help matters that there seemed to be no way out.


“Can’t we just drive one of our cars? I know the tires were all slashed but does that mean we can’t at least hobble it down the road?” Abby asked with wide, pleading eyes. I could tell she sincerely thought it was possible but no one had told her that the person who fucked up the tires also took parts off of every engine. Those cars were all quite frankly dead. Whoever did this, knew what they were doing and knew we’d probably try and drive even on a few busted tires.

“That’s not a possibility,” Zach simply replied.


“Look, we’re gonna need more wood for tonight, why don’t you and Knox go and grab some. Jemma, Abby, Evian you ladies should sort out the food and see how much longer it’ll all last. I’m gonna see if maybe getting higher up will get us a signal,” Roland suggested as his eyes darted upwards in search of the tallest tree.

“Anything I can do?” I asked as I stepped closer towards the others.


“Just stay and guard the site. Make sure the only people who come around here is one of us.” Zach and the others started off in different directions and I couldn’t help but think how bad that could be. It’s like a scene out of one of the cheesiest horror flicks in creation.

Someone says ‘we should split up’ and before you know they are being picked off one at a time. That wouldn’t be me; and I brought protection for just that purpose. I slipped my hand into my bag and felt the cold metal flush against the palm of my hand. People may think it was a foolish idea but if there was really something out here, better to be safe than sorry!


Darkness fell soon after and everyone had returned back to camp. Just like the Professor and Skipper’s constant efforts, there was no getting off the island. I knew I should have just refused the invite. But Knox made it sound like I’d have the best time ever. He invited Jemma and used her as a selling point knowing all the while that he wanted to get into her pants himself. I felt suckered into it all and seeing them rush off to be together was like a sharp dagger to the heart.

“I’ll be right back,” I sighed and grabbed my bag from beside the cooler. It’s been too long since I fired up and I’d been trying to keep from toking while out here but this shit is getting too crazy now. Between the stories, the scary ass woods and the fact that someone else might be out here, I was trying to keep my head clear and focused. 


I dropped onto the bench beside the bath house wall and snagged one of my rolls from the bag. The second that herb touched my tongue I felt a giant weight fall off my shoulders. It was cosmic like the universe was welcoming me home after a long vacation. This blend I call Raindance but I think Starlight may be a better name for it. It’s like sitting in a field of wildflowers while puppies smother you in kisses. 


I took another hit and was ready for the next wave of euphoria to roll over me when the sound of impending footfall drew my attention. I guess one of the guys decided to check on me…or see what I was up to. “Hello?” I called out trying to see around the corner. I could hear laughter coming from the fire pit; had to be the group. But I could hear footsteps slowly approaching me. “Is anyone there?” As my foot slipped around the edge of the building, I caught sight of something moving into the woods.


I focused my eyes and gasped as the creature came into focus. A large, nude man shuffled into the bushes. His eyes appeared glowing and red and he had a tail flipping around behind him and walked on a pair of hooves. When he turned and looked at me, I could swear he had horns like a demon. His lip curled over a pair of sharp fangs when he sneered at me and blood dripped from the tips.

“What the fuck?!” I quickly tossed the bud to the ground and rushed back to the group. “Dude, you’re not gonna believe what I just saw!”


“You smell like shit!” Evian snarled and moved to the other side of the pit.

“That’s because he’s been on a smoke break. I thought you brought some to share, what’s going on with that?” Knox questioned me as he pulled a beer from the cooler to drink.

“I did but most of it was tossed with my clothes man.”

“So the stuff that’s left is all yours? Not cool dude, not cool.”

“Look, you’re not getting the point. I saw something out there that was just…not human!”


“But you were smoking right?” Jemma looked up at me and I admit the smell of herbs surrounded me like a thick, gray cloud on a rainy day, but I’ve never hallucinated before on my own stuff. The others joined in on a round of incredulous laughter telling me it was all in my head and not to worry.

“I thought that shit you smoked was supposed to make you chill,” Zach grinned as he tossed another log on the fire.


“Yeah unless he rolled it wet or put somethin’ else in it.” Roland glanced up at me as he spoke and I could tell he was trying to analyze my face. Like who died and made him the fucking king of all knowing herb?

“Nothing’s wrong with my weed and this wasn’t my fucking imagination! Something’s out there and it’s just waiting for the chance to roll in here and take us out man!”

“Jesus, Chazz, cut it with that shit already, you’re scaring the girls,” Knox plead his case but I didn’t care. If they wanted to ignore me and think I was making it all up then to hell with them.


“Alright fine, but don’t come crying to me when you wake up with that thing blowing hot breath on your neck!” I grabbed my shit up and rushed inside my tent. There was something out there and I was certain of it. Oh well. I warned them; the only thing I can do now is keep myself safe…but for how long?


“Lights out in ten minutes girls,” Kathryn smiled as she checked in on her daughter and friends. She was hosting a sleepover of five of her closest friends and they were all scattered around Rebecca’s floor giggling to themselves.

After makeovers, movies and talking about their crushes there wasn’t much left to entertain themselves with. That is until the oldest of the group, Amanda, suggested a game of Truth or Dare. “It’ll be fun!” she smiled wickedly as the rest of the girls gathered closer.


“I’ll go first!” Rebecca volunteered.

“Ok, truth or dare?” Amanda asked.

“Dare!” Rebecca responded quickly and watched as Amanda thought up something interesting for her to do.

“I dare you to makeout with Patrice’s favorite teddy!”


“What? That’s silly!” Samantha laughed as the bright pink bear was passed through the group towards Rebecca who wasted no time planting a deep smooch on its button lips.

“Fine then let’s see what you choose, Samantha,” Rebecca smiled towards her best friend. “Truth or dare.”

“Truth, I’m not making out with stuffed animals!” 


“Truth it is then. Have you ever kissed a boy?” Samantha’s face instantly turned red and the others started laughing and teasing her as she shrunk more with embarrassment. “Come on Sam you chose truth now answer the question.”

“Once. Danny Johnson at Summer camp when I was eight.”

“Oooh! Sammy and Danny sitting in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G,” they all began singing.

“Your turn Evelyn,” Samantha chirped to try and quiet the girls teasing a little. “Truth or dare?”


“Dare!” Evelyn boldly replied with a smile. Believing she get something lame like making out with a teddy bear, she giggled a little as she listened to Amanda choose her fate.

“I dare you to go into the bathroom and say Bloody Mary three times.” Amanda looked at her curiously but didn’t quite know what to say.

Finally the little girl asked, “What’s Bloody Mary?”


Patrice, Samantha and Rebecca laughed before Amanda began explaining. “Bloody Mary was a very beautiful young girl who lived a long, long time ago. One day there was a terrible accident that left her face horribly disfigured that children cried at the sight of it and had nightmares. Nobody would look at her and for the longest time she was not allowed to look at her own reflection; her parents’ feared she would go crazy.”

“One night, after everyone had gone to bed, she was no longer able to fight off her curiosity and crept into the bathroom. The moment she saw her face she broke down crying. Heartbroken, she swore she’d get her old reflection back and stepped into the mirror to find it and vowed to disfigure anyone who came seeking her in the mirror.”


“That’s so full of crap!” Evelyn responded, waving her hand in a dismissive fashion. “How could she just walk into a mirror?”

“Yeah! And if it was true why would anyone want a mirror around their house?” Patrice asked, rolling her eyes in disbelief.

“Fine then, why don’t you both go in and give it a try?” Amanda challenged.


With a shrug, Evelyn and Patrice both accepted. Taking a candle from the bedside table, Evelyn was first to enter the bathroom with the lights off and took a deep breath. They stood in front of the bathroom mirror in the dim glow of candlelight, chanting in unison: “Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary.” By the fifth time they said it, they began feeling more relieved.


Both girls felt a bit disappointed when nothing happened and started for the door. Before Patrice could reach it, the candle blew out putting them both in complete darkness. Evelyn banged on the door suddenly afraid and begged the other girls to open it, but they only laughed.

Just then something very strange started happening in the mirror. It appeared as a faint, green flicker that soon developed into a bright, glowing light and a woman’s face slowly emerged. Evelyn screamed and Patrice soon after. The sink and the bath started to run pouring out thick streams of blood that soon overflowed onto the floor.


The other three girls gathered around the door listening to the frightened yelling and laughed; until another blood curdling scream erupted from the tiny room. “Open it Amanda!” Samantha screamed and watched as the older girl moved forward to try and pry the door apart.

“It’s stuck!”

“Let us out! Please! Open the door!” Patrice begged as the glow appeared beneath the door of the bedroom. It flickered off and on a few times and then it was pitch black and silent.


Patrice screamed again as Bloody Mary came into view and crawled out of the mirror. When she reached Evelyn, she slit her throat and carved three long claw marks into her face. Patrice pushed her back to the door as Mary crawled towards her. Sinking her nails into the flesh of her ankles, she slowly dragged her back into the mirror with her. When the door to the bathroom finally opened, the other three girls all screamed and ran.

Continue---->

6 comments:

  1. aww poor Chazz, everyone is basically 'coupled up' and he's the odd man out. On the upside at least he was able to save some of his weed. Priorities right LOL I have to say he may seem like a stoner, but he has a point. The fact all their stuff was trashed like that isn't an accident. Zach is right, walking probably would be their best bet since the food will run out at some point and they don't look like hunters to me.

    The devil in the woods was a tad creepy! Hard to say if it was real or if his good stuff had him on a small trip. Guess we'll find out.


    that picture of Mary climbing out of the mirror, CREEPY!!!!!! aww the poor girls. These things are always worse when kids are involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :( Chazz came hoping he'd get some quality time with Jemma but all he got was the short end of the stick. Brought the beer, brought the drugs and then those kinda got ruined. LOL! Yep, that seems to always be his main focus! That was what he was most angry about when his stuff got trashed. They really need to stay talking about an exit strategy before it's too late!

      Haha that's what everyone else thinks also! He might have a really hard time getting anyone to believe him considering his hobby!

      I couldn't agree more! Kids and animals, the most innocent of victims :(

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  2. *scream!* hahaha ... I know better... I have to stay off the DaiJah-Stuff! I'm in the boat with Chazz *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yeah it would be my advice too :P Chazz is sobering himself up. He's seen what's out there (at least he thinks) and would NOT want to become its prey!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete
  3. This makes me hate Knox even more. He used Jemma as bait to get poor Chazz out there and he wanted her for himself. I think they would have believed him if he hadn't just came form smoking. At least he has protection though, maybe he can save the others too if it comes to that. I do not like the Bloody Mary story. I have never tried to call her and never will. That's one urban legend I don't want to mess around with lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Knox is a bit selfish. He got Chazz to bring the booze and even goes so far to taunt him with his and Jemma's escapades right in front of him :( Chazz would have been WAY more believable if he didn't smell like weed. Too bad too. He had some great intel! Right now he's only concern is keeping himself alive since everyone thought he was only making a joke! I could not agree more! Bloody Mary, Candy Man all of those that cause you to call for something KNOWING badness could happen are SO not on my 'to do' list!

      Thank you for reading :)

      Delete