Monday, October 3, 2011

03: Manor House


“Ok, since you don’t want to sleep on the floors, and for good reason, let’s check out the bedrooms. There are 3 upstairs and each has a bed or two,” Daijah said leading the way up the steps. “We can try and make it a little cozier since everyone will be here for a month, right?”

She opened the door to bedroom #1 and dust instantly flew from around the frames. Fanning it away from her face, she stepped inside and waited for the others to join her; lighting a candle to illuminate the darkened areas.


“This is disgusting,” Leah said running a finger across the panel on the dresser. “It needs some major cleaning and disinfecting and…what is that?”


Everyone followed her gaze to a small outlining barely hidden under a rug. Daijah smiled and stepped towards it. “It’s nothing Leah. I did tell you this place had a bit of history didn’t I?”


“That’s a body outline! Like what the cops do at crime scenes! What happened here Daijah? And why would you want to spend a month in a house that people died in?!” Nedra exclaimed moving towards the door. “I think we should go this isn’t such a great idea after all.”



“No one is leaving! I mean the ferry isn’t going to be back until next month, there’s no way for anyone to get off the island until then. We might as well make the best of it. Now I said I brought cleaning supplies, we can fix this place up, make it livable. It’s going to be fun! Come on let’s take a look at the other rooms.”



She led them to room #2 and as the door opened; a large rat scurried free from the hinge and rushed down the hall.

“OH MY GOD! No! I can’t do this! I didn’t expect to find this when you invited us to a getaway, Dai,” Kalene stepped back. “I’m with Nedra I think we should go.”




Daijah only smiled as she turned on a light inside the room. “No one was killed in here and it’s much cleaner than the other room, already an upside.”

“We really should call the ferry captain and…”

“There is no phone Kal and you won’t get cell reception out here either,” Daijah said stepping into the hall.

“What about if there is an emergency? What happens then? Are we just going to have to visit a neighbor?”




“I’d advise against that. They don’t seem all that friendly. Besides I’ve taken the necessary precautions to ensure we’re safe and sound for our stay. We have MORE than enough food, plenty of cleaning supplies and if it comes down to it, weapons to protect ourselves.”

“Weapons?” Jill questioned looking over the faces of the others. “What kind of weapons?”



“There’s a flare gun, a few knives, a hatchet in the tool shed out back as well as other garden items, an axe in the living room you’ve probably seen and this,” she said brandishing a glock. “It’s not loaded no need to panic. But it’s around in case we need it. Come on; let’s check out the master suite.”




They explored around the last bedroom, again taking notice this room was not as bad off as the others. Nancy and Karima searched the bathroom while Leah checked for running water. 



“Roomy closets,” Quiana sighed. “I wonder if this is where they stuffed the bodies.”

“No actually those were kept in the basement chopped and frozen in the deep freezer.” Everyone stopped and stared at Daijah and she laughed. “I’m only kidding! No one salts their victims these days, that’s just not kosher.”



The wind picked up and began howling through the cracks in the boards sitting on the frames. The candle on the dresser blew out and Leah screamed. “Turn on the lights!”



“The switch is busted in this room. That’s why I used the candles. Hold on a sec I have to find the lighter.”

As Daijah fished around for the light, Karima neared the wall above the bed. 



Her eyes taking notice on a message etched in fluorescent paint and she began to read to herself:

“The bones of the dead lay scattered about
strange death befell them, take heed and get out
for come day break on All Hallows Eve
you’ll find that these words were not to deceive.”



“What does that mean?”

“What does what mean?” Daijah asked as finally she relit the candles.

“This message here,” Karima pointed.




Everyone moved in closer but a puzzled expression shrouded their faces as they looked at the spot Karima pointed to.

“I don’t see anything,” Nancy said moving even closer to the wall. “What did it say?”

“Something about death and Halloween.”

“Are you sure you weren’t imagining it?”


“Yeah, I’m sure! It was scribbled in a bright red paint, I don’t know, blood maybe. And it said that people will die on Halloween.”

Freedom, Nedra and Jill burst into laughter as the others stared at Karima with blank expressions. “I think the house is just getting to you,” Quiana spoke. “Dai did a good job setting the element and now I can see why.”


“No I get it!” Nedra said stepping towards her. “You were the first one here! You helped Daijah get this all planned out and now you’re trying to scare us! Brava ladies but it didn’t…” her words were stopped as a loud knock sounded on the door forcing an ear splitting screech from her lungs.




“I’m sorry, Ned, you were saying?” Daijah smiled she asked stepping from the room and headed to the front door. The others followed closely behind, peeking down the hall after her curious as to their late night visitor.



“Who would be coming here this late at night?” Freedom asked peeking over the banister.


“Maybe it’s a neighbor hoping to borrow a cup of sugar,” Daijah laughed imitating her best Vincent Price voice. “Or perhaps the bats in the belfry have kept them awake! Hopefully it’s our last two guests!”



She pulled open the door and was greeted with the bright smiles of their dear friends Holley and Lizzy. “Girls! You made it! I was beginning to think you’d changed your mind.”



“Not even!” Holley exclaimed. “I’m getting a vacation from my worries and it’s all paid? Who wouldn’t want to come to…this…,” she said looking around the inside of the hall. “It gets better right?”



Jill shook her head no in response. “Welcome to Manor House!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Lying vacant along a dark and dismal road
Stands a stark bare and grim abode
withered plants and trees occupy the meadow
casting an ominous and mysterious shadow



Past the gates and down the path unwind
Dark deeds and nightmares are all you’ll find
She waits in the window, appearing only at night
Granting unlucky visitors a ghastly fright




Her face hides pain, her expression is grave
Her tired and frail body is the demon’s slave
Her lip curls up into a sinister smile
As she adds more victims to the growing bone pile




Think twice before you trespass here
even local trick or treaters know to steer clear
for evil resides in this manor of fear
and none but the dead dare venture near



Continue ---->

8 comments:

  1. Ok I was doing good until the creepy chick appeared in the window.

    As always your pictures are great. Very spooky with the fog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol yeah she means business!

    I actually found this one a bit funny (maybe it's just me) but the ominous feel of what they are in store for made me giggle...yeah that might just be me! SMH, the things you poor dears will face.

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can take the murder! I can take the disappearing warnings! I can even handle the zombies under the bed and at the door, but not the rats!!! Show me the door!

    This was so great Daijah! You've got my personality spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL the rats El? Really? HAHAHA that made me giggle. Boy that thing was huge too wasn't it? I'm happy to hear the personality fits too :D that's the one thing I was most unsure on as I wrote these, how everyone would react to the different situations. I did try and get a feel for that though with the questions on RWN >:)

    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ~ I Love these,sorry I have been sleeping!
    ~ I would be investigating,as I am inquisitive!anything mysterious has to be looked into!Until I find an answer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you :D I hope you're taking care of yourself though. Plus coming off a bday party which I know had to be awesome, I can't blame you for sleeping!

    HAHA yes and I love that about you! You are my bloodhound :D You're the one that notices pretty much everything as the story progresses but getting people to believe you is something different.

    Some of the things that "appear" to you are outside of the realm of believable :)

    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah convinced, Dai is evil! That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOLOLOLOL is she? She likes to be scared and wants them to enjoy it as well :D She's planned this for over 2 months now haha.

    That's hilarious though :)

    ReplyDelete