Monday, October 10, 2011

10: The Black Cat


They made it back to the location where they’d last seen Holley. Daijah looked around at them and with a silent nod; they entered inside the hollowed, stone building. “Everyone stay close and on your guard. There’s no telling what’s in here and I don’t think we want to run into that caretaker again.”

Jill leaned over the old coffin Leah had noticed upon their first trip. She released a small breath as she thought about the way the place was carelessly left in rot and decay. “I’d like to think that when my time comes my plot is more managed than some of these. It’s a little depressing to see the treatment of these markers.”


Nancy nodded in agreement. “It’s not something I like to think about but you’re right. I couldn’t stand the thought of my bones left out in the open like this for the animals and other things to crawl over me or misuse my corpse.”

“Shh…,” Freedom hissed. “Did you hear something?”

“Something like?” Kalene asked taking a step closer.

“Someone’s behind that door.” She pointed to the hidden panel they’d opened earlier and everyone’s attention turned to meet it. The girls strained their ears to try and listen and as they neared the door, it creaked open slowly.


They stood waiting for the sounds behind them to step forward but was met with silence.

“I don’t think any…,” Leah started but jumped as her words caught in her throat.


“GOTCHA!” Holley squealed popping out from behind the wall.

Everyone screamed and Daijah joined her in her fit of laughter. She successfully left them in a state of shock and a huge grin crossed her face.

“Holley! That wasn’t funny!” Leah shrieked. “Why would you do that?”


“Revenge! I thought that telling you I didn’t want to go inside that tunnel would make you all realize it and want to head home but you were fine leaving me standing at that door alone in this creepy place! And now it was worth it just to see the looks on your faces!” she laughed again watching the horror filled eyes and frowns directed towards her.


“We were worried about you!” Jill said scolding her. “Anything could have happened out here you know that? What if one of the unfriendly neighbors came along and harassed you or that caretaker had you thrown in jail? There would have been no way for us to know!”


“But I’m fine! I was watching as you girls searched for me earlier and I was going to come out then and tell you but I heard Kalene say that I may be back at the house and knew once you didn’t see me there you’d come back looking. I couldn’t resist a good scare. I see what Daijah was talking about now. It IS fun!” she laughed again.


Nedra couldn’t help but join in this time. “It was pretty good and we’re happy to see you’re not hurt. Did you see the caretaker earlier too? That guy had a major creep factor about him. I think that about anyone that wants to work around the dead though. It takes a certain type of person and I am just not it.”


“Let’s get back. I’m sure the others are worried still about you Holley,” Kalene said stepping towards the exit. She stopped suddenly and jumped back behind the wall.

“What’s wrong?” Freedom asked glancing out the window on the side of the building.

“I saw something.”

“What? The caretaker?”

“No! I saw something else. Something…I think it’s the man Karima was talking about.”


“He’s out there now?” Nancy asked crouching down. “What did he look like?”

“Pale white, scowl, ruffled suit…glowing.”

“Glowing?” Jill raised a curious brow. “What do you mean glowing?”

“I mean he was shining bright and I could see right through him!”

“Ok. I think we can get to the bottom of this now,” Daijah said heading for the door.

“Wait! No! I don’t think we should go out there!” Kalene tried to stop her. “What if he isn’t friendly like she said and he attacks us!”

“Then I have a very unfriendly bullet with his name on it.”


They exited the mausoleum and stopped dead in their tracks.

“OH MY GOD!” Leah yelled. “Please tell me you are not seeing what I am and that I am just feeling dizzy and lightheaded from scare earlier.”

“No…no it’s not dizziness Leah, I see it too!” Nedra confirmed.

“Not possible!” Holley said covering her mouth in fear. “Not possible at all!”

“Girls I think…” before Jill could finish her sentence the group started running just as fast as they could towards the exit and back up the block to the house.


They got inside and slammed the door shut tight, locking it behind them.

“No way! No way was that real!” Nedra said again, a phrase that was quickly becoming her mantra.


Lizzy, Quiana and Karima heard the door close and moved down the stairs towards them. They stopped just at the bottom and looked over their faces.

“What happened?” Karima asked. “You found Holley!” she smiled and waved happy to see everyone was safely back at the house.

“That’s not all we found!” Leah started.


“That man you said you saw,” Nancy finished. “He was there! We all saw him Karima it was real!”

Jill turned towards Daijah and with a firm hand on her shoulder waited for her eyes to reach hers. “I think it’s time you told us the history behind this house.”


He came again and stood just outside my window
staring up at the moon and listening to the wind blow
the howling of the breeze, the dying of the trees
danced around him as he prepared to leave

He stood on all fours and looked back with yellow eyes
his whiskers were alert and its hiss warned of demise
quickly he sprinted, moving to the back of the lot
his paws dug in the dirt uncovering a plot


I watched as a skull appeared out of the sand
fear struck instantly as he unearthed a hand
he continued clawing and scratching at the ground
until a pile of bones lay exposed and bound


My eyes opened in terror with the next shocking event
the skeleton stood and flesh began covering the gent
He looked up at the window and flashed me an evil grin
the cat rubbed his leg as he stretched in his new skin

He dusted his top hat and twirled it on his finger
the smile on his face widened and as he stared it lingered
You’re told to be careful if a black cat crosses your way
but perhaps if they love you, they’ll extend your stay

Continue ---->

8 comments:

  1. I loved this passage!!! Is it crazy to think the newly undead guy is HOT!!!!

    Glad they found Holley, can't believe she stayed in that place hiding all that time. I would have been creeped out to be by myself in a crypt.

    Now they all believe Karima. Looking forward to learning the history of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and LOL no I don't think it's crazy at all :D I like hot, evil men too!

    Holley thought it would be funny but didn't realize what sticking around that crypt meant when night came. Now they have even more reason to stay inside for the next 20 days!

    They'd better be very open to what they might encounter now after seeing that man. Otherwise...it's horror movie all over again :D

    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so funny! Everyone deserved that scare for not believing Holly!

    I totally agree with Jazen. That last guy was HOT!!!

    All of the expressions were so good! I loved how we all ran back to the house.

    I'm going to miss these bedtime stories after they end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! You didn't mind being scared like that by Holley? :P she definitely wanted her revenge and got it though.

    I'm glad you approve! We'll see how you feel once...um...yeah.

    Thank you! I've been having fits with this house so I'm doing so very basic shots just to get it over with and published (which is why it's mostly just them standing around talking) still trying to figure out what rogue CC is crashing my game every 6 seconds and until I find it the pics will kinda be plain.

    Aww :) there's always next year? Right? LOL

    Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These shorts have been fun and creepy. And once again, at 4am, I need to turn on every light in the house to make the shadows stay away. *L*

    ReplyDelete
  6. But sometimes it's fun to be scared! :D But not if you're alone! Sorry for the scare :)

    Thank you for reading :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holley lost cool points for that! Um, whose the hottie? If that's what black cat's do, bring hotties back to life, I shall follow the next one I see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you said you wanted her to haunt them! She got her revenge :D LOLOL I'd have to agree though :D Yes on the hotties and following black cats!

    ReplyDelete